Monday, April 9, 2012

Old and New Traditions...


Matzoh Ball Soup!
Cheesy Kale Chips
Being that it is Passover I wanted to share a traditional food with my kids. Matzoh Ball Soup seemed to fit the bill. So I set off to make matzoh balls for the first time since I really don't know when. I followed a basic recipe for the matzoh balls that you can find just about anywhere. Two of my 3 kids demolished them leaving nothing in their paths. Child number 3 the picky one took one bite and passed, I have to give him credit for at least trying.
The soup was not made from a recipe, I just sauteed onion, carrot, celery, zucchini and garlic


 with some other seasonings and then poured the
broth in. Not so exciting, but healthy and tasty for sure. On the other hand, I also wanted to try something new. I have heard my sister and others talk about Kale chips for a long time. I have some in the fridge and decided to give it a try. The 'cheesy' sauce is not cheese at all. Here's how I made the sauce:
1 cup of cashews soaked in water for a few hours
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
Juice from one lemon
minced garlic to taste
Blended it in the blender and then mixed with well with the Kale. I baked it in the oven at 200 degrees for a few hours. The site I saw it on said 45 minutes but that wasn't near enough time to make it crunchy. So I kept baking. The family (with exception of picky eater number 3) gobbled up both trays in a matter of minutes. I was happy to give them something crunchy and healthy for them. I will definitely be moving the dehydrator up the wish list for the near future. I do believe that the kale chips will turn out much better in the dehydrator.
I have been really busy with life and the family. I haven't had much time to write nor really have had thoughts about what to write either. I am hoping to do some more writing and fill you all in on what I have been doing and working on at home. Stay tuned~